Is it okay if I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model?

Hello,

Is it okay if I use a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ model?

Thanks

Hello,

Yes, absolutely!

I have downloaded the image sent to my e-mail and flashed it into a 32GB SD card, but RPI won’t boot. I’ve since followed the manual installation instructions you have on a Raspbian Buster distribution and it detects the printer and the camera lights up when Dual Camera mode is selected but I cannot see the livefeed in the cloud application (It is grayed out and the LiveWall panel says that there are no cameras connected). When configuring the camera as a HD Camera the camera doesn’t even turn on. The logs said it needed library libavformat54, which I installed and got past the issue but then the hdcamera program keeps looping with the following output:

[Camera] Found device /dev/video1
[Camera] list_formats() failed
[Camera] cam_get_pixel_formats() failed, errno: 22
[Network] Error on receiving server connection response
[Network] Connected!
[Network] Connected!
[Network] Connected!
Start thread encoder_yuv_to_h264 started
[Network] Ctrl thread started
[Network] Got sleep command
Encoder thread started with 0x0 resolution
encoder_yuv_to_h264:76: encoder_set_input_format() failed with 80001005!
Encoder thread stopped
[Network] Disconnected
[Network] Connected!

Ok, found a lead why the images wouldn’t boot:

Images downloaded from cloud.3dprinteros.com are using Raspbian Jessie, the latest version of Jessie was released on 2017-07-05, and the RPi3B+ was released later (2018-03-14) and therefore is NOT COMPATIBLE with Jessie according to what I found.

Summarizing: The 3DPrinterOS Client images downloaded from the 3DPrinterOS UI are not compatible with RPi3B+ or RPi4B. Although there are instructions to install it on a bare Raspbian OS, but that is a manual process.

Resource: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=201926#p1534458

Hello. Did you try development version of 3DPrinterOS Cloud RPI image or stable? Development version is compatible with RPI 3B+ (And it was tested on RPI 3B+ too; You can see it in instruction tip " Raspberry Pi 1B, 1B+, 2B, 3B, 3B+") and stable is not (Raspberry Pi 1B, 1B+, 2B, 3B). RPi4B, yes, is not supported for now, but we are creating a new image to support it too.

So, please, let us know, did you try development version of 3DPrinterOS RPI image?

I indeed did not try the development version because I wanted a production build, although I didn’t read the development one worked with the 3B+ either so I created my own image.

I also figured out why I was receiving no video in the cloud UI when configured as Dual Camera. One thing that I didn’t see mentioned in the videos/documents is that you have to open the printer settings in the server UI and select the video source for it

Yes, you need to select active camera in printer settings.